CORE helps investors from around the world find a qualified business so they can enjoy the American Dream. The advisors at CORE have a list of qualified businesses that meet the standards required for an E-2 visa status. Among other resources, our advisors also have a strong affiliation with local immigration attorneys who specialize in obtaining visas. Our affiliate network of corporate lawyers and accountants are top-rated professionals who can help you achieve your goals of business ownership in the United States.

Info About Visas

THE E-2 VISA is the The E-2 Visa is the most popular visa for foreign investors seeking residence in the U.S. The E-2 Investor Visa allows an individual to enter and work inside of the United States based on an investment he or she will be controlling, while inside the United States. This visa must generally be renewed every two years, and the investment must be substantial. As a rule of thumb, most substantial investments range upwards of $100,000.00.

E-2 Visa Requirements

  • The applicant must be either the owner or a key employee of the U.S. business.
  • The U.S. company must be actively engaged in commercial activities and meet the applicable legal requirements for doing business in its state or region. It also cannot be merely a means to support the investor. The underlying goal of the treaty investor visa is to create jobs for U.S. workers.
  • Investors must make a substantial investment in an enterprise in the U.S. and demonstrate that their investment will be sufficient to create or sustain the required number of jobs, and to generate good income for the investor. Substantial Investment is not defined by a minimum amount. However, there are certain percentage requirements. For example, a business costing less than $100,000 requires an investment of 75%. A business selling between $100,000 and $500,000 requires a minimum investment of 60%.
  • This investment may be for the purpose of establishing a new business venture, or purchasing a pre-existing business.

  • An E-2 visa basically allows you to buy entry into the U.S. without actually "immigrating", but you must demonstrate ownership of at least 50% of the enterprise that you are buying.
  • The E-2 visa may last for up to five years (depending on your country of origin), with unlimited 2-year extensions.
  • The E2 visa can be renewed indefinitely as long as the investor is running the business and it generates "more than enough revenue" to support the investor's family.
  • The E2 visa also covers the investor's spouse and children under age 21.
  • While in the U.S., the treaty investor or employee is restricted to working only for the employer or self-owned business that acted as the E-2 sponsor.
  • The spouse, but not the children, may apply for a work permit once physically present in the U.S.

THE L-1 VISA is available to people who own businesses in their home countries and wish to acquire a business in the U.S. The person designated by the acquiring business may obtain an L-1 visa based on an intercompany transfer, which gives them permanent residency status in the U.S with convertibility to a green card in time (two or three years). Unlike the E-2 visa, there is no minimum investment set for the L-1. The chief requirement for the L-1 is that the company can prove its readiness to begin operations, and its ability to pay the transferred person's annual salary. A person already owning a company abroad can form a U.S. company to acquire a business in this country whether or not the businesses are of the same nature. One of the main advantages of this visa is that after the U.S. company has been in existence for at least one year, it may petition for a Permanent Residency Visa for it's executive officer or manager, thus avoiding the complications and expense of a labor certification application.